April 5, 1907



Wife Knew of the Note, but for a
Time No One Suspected That
Morphine Had Been Taken
-- Saloonkeeper Here Thirty
Two Years.

Kansas City Mo, March 29, 1907.
I was born August 15, 1851 and came to America in 1870. I owe $500, $300 to one man and $200 to another. Goodby to my sister. Goodby to my nephews and nieces. I belong to four societies and want two pallbearers from each society. I want to be buried north of the monument and I want to lie in the vault for three months.

If not admitted to the church, I want my funeral held at 2 o'clock from my home. Goodby my son. Be good to your mother. I do not wish any postmortem. I dictate this at my own free will. It is written by ex-Police Judge McAuley, March 29. I want my name inscribed on the monument.

If admitted to the church I desire high mass. Goodby to all my
friends. I desire the $500 I owe to be paid out of my insurance. Signed by
rubber-stamp. DANIEL SPILLANE.

Daniel Spillane, for thirty-four years a resident of Kansas City, thirty-two years of which time he was in the saloon business, called on T. B. McAuley, a former police judge, on March 29, and dictated the foregoing note. Mr. Spillane could not write. In business he used a rubber stamp. Yesterday afternoon while left at home alone for a time he took the greater part of one-eighth ounce bottle of sulphate of morphine. He must have taken it between noon and 1 p. m. He died at 3:30 at his residence, 2639 Brooklyn avenue.

Mrs. B. Spillane, his wife, returned home from a shopping tour about 1 o'clock and found her husband very ill but rational. As the family knew of the note which had been dictated last Friday, she asked if he had taken anything.

"I am just tired out," he told the wife, "completely prostrated, but nothing more."

Mrs. Spillane at once called her son, Timothy Spillane, from his home at 1214 Cherry street, telling him that his father was very ill and asking him to come out at once. Young Spillane left, but, not realizing what had occurred, took no physician with him. Even when he got there the father was still conscious and apparently rational. The son called Dr. Henry L. Martin, 601 East Twelfth street, who has an office over the saloon owned by Timothy Spillane.

"When the doctor came into the room," said the son, "father recognized him and said, 'Doctor, try to save me, will you?' He died fifteen minutes later, however, though everything was done for him."

When Mr. Spillane went to Judge McAuley to get him to write the note which was left yesterday he asked, "Do you know who I am?" When told that he was known, Judge McAuley was requested to write as was dictated to him. When he had finished Mr. Spillane drew forth a rubber stamp and signed his name with it. Judge McAuley at once looked up the son, Timothy, and told him what had occurred and advised him that the father be watched.

Members of the family said that Mr. Spillane had been ill and had taken an overdose of morphine by mistake.

"Father appeared to have been feeling badly lately," the son said, "and for that reason I tried to keep him with me as much as possible. He tended bar at my place, Twelfth and Cherry streets, for two hours in the morning, going home about noon. He did not seem to be any more melancholy than usual when he left my place."

Daniel Spillane was born in Ireland. He came to America in 1870 and to Kansas City three years later, remaining her ever since. At first he was in the bridge contracting business, but later entered the saloon business, continuing in that for thirty-two years. His first saloon was at Ninth street and State line in the early days and he had a garden and vaudeville in connection with it. His next location was at 9 West Ninth street.

From there he moved to Tenth and Main streets. The firm there was Spllane & O'Sullivan. When they dissolved partnership, Mr. Spillane opened at 1111 Grand avenue, which place he sold some months ago and opened at 1127 Grand avenue. At one time he was located on the corner of Twelfth street and Grand avenue. Mr. Spillane sold his saloon at 1127 Grand avenue two weeks ago and retired from active business. He leaves his widow, Mrs. B. Spillane; a son, Timothy A. Spillane; a sister, Mrs. Ellen Dwyer, and one brother, Timothy Spillane, who live s at Sixth and Holmes streets.