ODD FELLOWS CELEBRATE SIXTIETH ANNIVERSARY. ~ Wyandotte Lodge No. 35 Was Organized by Faithful Few When Kansas City Was a Village.

September 1, 1908

Wyandotte Lodge No. 35 Was Organ-
ized by Faithful Few When Kan-
sas City Was a Village.

On September 1, 1848, when this city was better known as Westport Landing, a number of members of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows gathered in a small room over Shannon's grocery store at Second and Main streets and organized Wyandotte lodge No. 35. Last night nearly 200 members and friends of this same lodge gathered in the large hall at Missouri avenue and Main street to celebrate the sixtieth anniversary.

Judge E. E. Porterfield, who claims to be too young to have been a charter member of the lodge, presided, and made a short address. Judge Porterfield told of the early days when with but a few members the lodge started on its way. He read a few of the names of the early members and among those names mentioned are men who have helped to make Kansas City what it is today.

Among the early members were such men as L. P. Browne, Joseph S. Chick, W. H. Chick, Rev. John T. Peery, Daniel Dofflemeyer, John C. McCoy, Dr. I. M. Ridge, Nehemiah Holmes and James A. Gregory. In 1850 the records of the lodge were destroyed in a fire which burned the grocery store over which the lodge was located, and it is impossible to get the names of all the charter members.

Phillip Bentz, who joined the lodge in 1850 when it was but two years old, was present and gave a short talk on the early history. Mr. Bentz is the oldest living member of the lodge. An address was also made by M. S. Dowden, past grand master, and music was furnished by J. Bales, L. Bales, and Miss Maggie Martin. Misses Elsie Hite and Ruth Markward gave recitations. Refreshments were served at the conclusion of the programme.