December 14, 1909


Coroner Could Not Learn Who Fired
Shot That Proved Fatal to
Murderer of Deputy Sheriff.

That Charles T. Galloway, who murdered Deputy Sheriff Charles Lukens of Wyandotte county, Kas., December 8, was shot and killed after he had surrendered and had been placed under arrest a few hours after the commission of his crime, was testified by witnesses at the coroner's inquest held yesterday morning. According to the testimony of several officers who participated in the spectacular attack which led to the killing of the cornered slayer, Galloway was unresisting and disarmed when the fatal bullet was fired into his abdomen.

"Detectives Wilkens, Downs and myself went upstairs to search for Galloway," testified Detective Ralph Truman. "We found him in a closet in the back part of the house. We called to him to give up. He answered with a valley of shots -- I don't know how many -- and we began shooting at him.

"After we fired a good many shots he called out to us and said: 'I'll surrender.' We told him to open the door and come out. He came out and we got him by the arms and led him into an adjoining room. There were then several shots fired, by whom I don't know, but at the last shot Galloway fell. Upon examination we found he had been shot through the body."

"Was Galloway disarmed when shot?" Trueman was asked.

"I believe he was," he replied.

"Was he unresisting at the time he was shot?"

"Yes, he had surrendered," responded the witness.

"What condition was Galloway in when you brought him out of the closet?"

"He was all right, as far as I know."


Detective J. W. Wilkens testified that he and Trueman led Galloway from the closet in which he had been hiding, and that he called to the crowd to quit shooting, but it seems that in the excitement of the moment, not all could realize that Galloway had surrendered. Wilkens said when the fugitive came out of the closet he assumed a crouching attitude and that he had his hands up in the air as a mute signal of surrender. Wilkins also said that the bullet which penetrated the sleeve of his own overcoat was the same one which killed the prisoner.

Detective David H. Oldham, in his testimony, said that earlier in the evening Inspector Boyle had been communicated with over the 'phone, and he had advised that a heavy guard be placed around the house in which Galloway had barricaded himself, and no attempt be made to capture the man until morning, when he would probably be in a less dangerous mood.

This course was decided upon, but at about 11 o'clock, some one, Oldham did not know whom, yelled out that he would go up and help get the fugitive, whereupon several officers announced they would take the lead. Within a moment, the witness said a squad of officers were inside the house. They searched the down stairs rooms first, and then proceeded with a rush upstairs and soon afterwards a fusillade of shots was heard.

Many other witnesses were examined, but no one knew who fired the shot which killed Galloway. The coroner's jury returned a verdict to the effect that Galloway met his death as a result of a gunshot wound inflicted by some unknown person.