May 22, 1916

Former Presiding Officer of County Court Succumbs to Kidney Disease.

George Lee Chrisman, formerly a judge of the county court for ten years and a resident of Jackson county for many years, died at 7:45 o'clock last night at his home in Independence after an illness lasting about six months. His condition became acute a week ago and his death was expected momentarily the last few days. Funeral arrangements have not been completed by the family.

Judge Chrisman was one of the prominent figures in Jackson county for many years. His business interests were extensive and he was known as an agricultural expert. In the county court his activities kept him before the public eye for several years.
Elected Judge in 1896.

He was born on August 8, 1854 in Lafayette county, Missouri, the son of William and Lucie Lee Chrisman, who were pioneers of Jackson county. His parents were prominent socially and financially, William Chrisman's life being devoted to a great extent to philanthropy. There were two other children, Maggie, now the widow of Logan O. Swope, and James, who died at the age of 19.

Judge Chrismas was a graduate of Forest Home Military college in Anchorage, Ky. He was first married on November 26, 1872, to Miss Lottie S. Duke, daughter of Colonel William Duke of Danville, Ky. They had no children, but adopted two daughters, now Mrs. Frank Ashley of Denver and Mrs. Wallace J. Ferry of Kansas City. After the death of his wife, Judge Chrisman, in 1895, married her sister, Mrs. Lutie Gates, who, with two daughters born to them, Charlotte and Lutie lee, survives him.

On a farm south of Independence Mr. Chrisman became a raiser of thoroughbred cattle and horses. He moved later to another farm near Lee's Summit, where he continued for years the stock business in partnership with J. A. Lee, the firm being Chrisman &; Lee. He was devoted to his occupation and lived on his farm many years.

In the fall of 1896 he entered politics and was elected on the Democratic ticket for judge of the county court for the Eastern district. This was the first office he had ever held. He was re-elected in 1898 and again in 1900. In 1902 Judge Chrisman made the race for presiding judge of the county court, was elected for the four-year term and served until 1906, when he ran for the judge of the Eastern district, but was defeated by George Dodd
Part Owner of the Times

At one time Judge Chrisman was mentioned as a candidate for governor, but he did not enter the race.

Late in his political career Judge Chrisman associated with A. A. Lesueur and John Groves in the ownership of the Kansas City Times, selling it to W. R. Nelson. The venture was not a paying one, Judge Chrisman's losses being heavy.

Soon after the beginning of his political career, Judge Chrisman moved from his farm in Lee's Summit to Independence, purchasing the home of the late Preston Roberts, 700 West Maple avenue. He had been engaged in various enterprises since retiring from the county court. He was interested in mining in Mexico. His associates were political friends. The mine they owned, said to be rich, was purchased from Grant Gillett, at one time the cattle king of Kansas.

Judge Chrisman was robust and in excellent health until six months ago, when he was attacked by kidney disease.