March 4, 1907


Mrs. Brobecker and Children Were
Hemmed In by Smoke and Flame

With hook and ladder appliances, Fireman James Redmond and Thomas Scanlon rescued a family from a burning building in the West bottoms yesterday morning at 3:30 o'clock. Sam Brobecker's saloon, 1719 West Ninth street, caught fire. His family lived upstairs. He went down to investigate before smoke had filled the upstairs to the point of suffocation. His wife, a son and a daughter were driven to the windows, from which they were taken. The loss on the building was only $25 and on the contents $50.