July 28, 1907


Married in May, Bride Soon Fell in
Love With Another and Deserted
Home -- Ends Life in
The Street With

The first tear to fall on the bier of Mrs. Inez Yothers since her suicide June 26 was yesterday -- a tear of forgiveness that gave her her first friend in death. With bowed head and strained lips, Walter Yothers, the husband whose home was wrecked when she deserted him for another, stood at the coffin, the coffin that had been shunted back and forth across three states without a claimant.

Somewhere Frank Palmer was, yesterday, released by a suicide's death, from the paramour's claims. Taking the best of her life, he deserted her in death. It was the husband who came with the final recognition.

"Yes, that is my wife. Poor Inez. She couldn't have realized what a great wrong she was doing when she deserted me and our home to run off with another man. She has paid dearly for it all and I forgive her."

Thus spoke Yothers, of Chillicothe, Mo., as he stood in the morgue of Gibson & Porter's undertaking establishment in Kansas City, Kas., yesterday morning and gazed upon the body of the woman. Tears slowly crept down his cheeks as he looked into the face of the woman who a few months ago he had led to the altar only to be deserted by her scarcely before their honeymoon was over.

Mr. and Mrs. Yothers, were married at Troy, Kas., May 3 last and directly after their marriage went to St. Joseph, Mo., to live. While there Mrs. Yothers fell in love with a young man by the name of Frank Palmer and they eloped to Kansas City, Kas., where they lived as man and wife. Palmer secured employment at the Fowler packing house and Mrs. Yothers in her devotion daily carried his dinner to him.

At noon June 26 she appeared at the gate of the packing house as usual with Palmer's dinner. He was displeased with the meal she had prepared and after scolding her emptied the contents of the pail into the street. Mrs. Yothers burst into tears and with the remark, "that is the last meal you will ever throw away of mine," she walked to the middle of the street, gazed once more at Palmer and then swallowed the contents of a two ounce bottle of carbolic acid. She died in great agony before she could be removed to a hospital.

Palmer witnessed the act without making any attempt to prevent it, and then quickly ran away. No trace of him has since been obtained by the local authorities.

At the time of the suicide no one could be found who knew the name of the woman. She went by the name of Palmer after coming from St. Joseph. Upon a description furnished to the authorities, David Hurst, of Muncie, Ind., decided that the body must be that of his daughter, and it was sent to him. However, when he viewed the body he discovered it was not his missing child. It was returned to Kansas City, Kas., and a couple of days ago a letter was received from Walter Yothers, of Chillicothe, in which he stated that he believed the suicide was his wife, who deserted him in St. Joseph.

He arrived in the city yesterday morning to identify the body and arrange for its burial.