August 27, 1907

When Wheeler Struck a Light the
Building Burst Into Flames.

E. Wheeler, of 2028 Charlotte, has found the most expensive plumber. One who was working on the gas pipes in his house yesterday forenoon left a joint open and went to lunch. Mr. Wheeler came home and ate a cold snack himself. It was too hot for cooked stuff, so there was no occasion for lighting a match until Wheeler was ready for his after dinner smoke. Then the odorless natural gas, a houseful of it, flashed into a blaze, and before the firedepartment arrived $250 damage was done to the building and $200 to contents.