Special Report -- C. W. ANDERSON


Apropos of the Anderson case, the Helping Hand comes forward with a few stories of men who, laboring under religious excitement, gave themselves up to serve out unexpired terms in prison.
"I remember well one night about eight or nine years ago," said Mr. Mitchell, of that institution. "Rev. Dr. Shawhan was preaching. Testimonials were asked for. A tall man arose in the audience and came forward. 'It means something for me to give my testimony here tonight,' he said. 'It means that I will have to go back to the Colorado penitentiary at Canon City and serve a term of ten years, but I mean to do it.'
"There was a reward for $500 for the capture of that man," went on Mr. Mitchell. "He walked straight over to police headquarters, where his picture was on the wall with the advertised reward. He gave himself up and went back willingly. That man wanted to give the reward to the Helping Hand for slum work, but it was not accepted. The police nearly had a fit when that man gave himself up and $500 went to the bowwows."
E. T. Bringham told a story of another man who, after a service, went around to Rev. Mr. Shawhan's office on Fourth street and told him that he was wanted in Leavenworth. He was not believed until the prison was called up and an officer said: "Sure, we want that man. We'll send an officer down after him right away."
"Never mind," Rev. Mr. Shawhan replied' "he'll come up himself." And they say that he did.
Then they told the story of a man named Lynn. He and a "pal had planned to "crack" a safe in St. Louis, and were to go out that night on a Missouri Pacific train.
"Hiding from the police," said Mr. Brigham, "they secreted themselves under the steps while the gospel meeting was going on. When it was about over, Lynn came forward and said, 'My pal has flown, but here I am, ready to give up. I have served three terms in the pen, and I don't want too serve any more. Here are the plans of the 'crib' we were to crack in St. Louis tomorrow night."
In order to get that man home to his mother in the North, we had to get a letter from Chief Hayes to act as a pass, and his photograph was in every rogues' gallery in the country. He had learned the shoe trade in Jefferson City. He went home, went to work in a shop. After a time he was made foreman, and now he is one of the managers of a big concern."